Renaissance Academy Dress Code and Grooming Expecations
Appearance: We have high standards concerning our dress code and personal appearance, as this is an important element of instilling confidence and creating a positive learning environment. An attractive uniform and overall appearance will communicate that you care about yourself and will prepare you for the workplace. Renaissance Academy will, consistent with the requirements of federal, state, or local law, consider making reasonable accommodations with respect to dress or grooming requirements that are directly related to a student’s religion and/or ethnicity. If an accommodation of this nature is required, please notify the director, and be prepared to discuss potential reasonable accommodations. Failure to comply with the Renaissance Academy dress code may result in being assigned to Intensive Support Services (ISS) until compliance is ensured.
Uniforms: Your uniform consists of dress pants (no jeans or casual pants that look like jeans), an RA polo shirt, belt, name badge and lanyard, one pair of shoes, and an RA sweatshirt (cold weather). All students must be in full uniform any time they represent the school. You will be expected to be in compliance with the dress code on a daily basis at school, on field trips, on the school bus, at open houses, and at meetings at the school. All garments should fit properly and be clean, pressed (as applicable), and in good condition (i.e., no holes, fraying, stains, discoloration, etc.).
- Proper undergarments must be worn by all students.
- Students must present a professional appearance (neat, clean, and well-groomed).
- School name badges must be worn at all times, on the outermost garment, on the student’s school-issued lanyard.
- Other miscellaneous pins, buttons, stickers, and/or ribbons may not be worn on the uniform or affixed to the name badge or lanyard.
- All shirts must be worn tucked in.
- Student’s polo shirts must be worn with at least the bottom button fastened.
- Students may wear solid white undershirts (no printing, graphics, or pockets) under all shirts. Undershirt sleeve length should not extend below the bottom edge of the Renaissance Academy shirt sleeve.
- A black or brown belt must be worn and must be trimmed so that the end does not hang below the belt line.
- Shoes must be solid black athletic shoes with laces or Velcro. Closed heel and closed toe styles are required. Shoes must fit properly with laces tied snuggly unless limited by temporary medical conditions requiring corrective orthopedic devices (due to broken bones, surgery, etc.). Shoes must always be in good shape (clean, no holes, etc.).
- Students must wear solid black or white socks.
- Renaissance Academy sweatshirts will be available for purchase as an option for students who wish to add warmth. Renaissance Academy sweatshirts will be the only garment allowed to be worn over the Renaissance Academy polo shirt.
No visible jewelry will be allowed, and no visible piercing retainers will be allowed.
Grooming Good personal hygiene is expected of students when they report for school (e.g., clean shaven, bathed, and with appropriate application of body deodorant). Perfume or cologne must be subdued in fragrance and not be distracting to teachers or fellow students. Body modifications (e.g., piercings, extended earlobes, etc.) visible to staff are not acceptable.
- Hair: Hair must be neat (combed or brushed), clean, and worn in good taste so as not to be distracting to teachers or fellow students. Unnatural hair colors (“crayon colors”) or eccentric styles (e.g., Mohawks, shaven designs, etc.) are not permitted. Weaves and/or extensions are not permitted. Hair must not be higher than two inches on top of the head. Hair must be in compliance at all times on campus and while riding the bus. Hair must not fall below the collar at the back, must be above the ear on the sides, or must not fall below the eyebrows on the forehead. Males are not allowed to use hair accessories to be in compliance; they must have a haircut to meet the standard. Girls with long hair must pull their hair back into a low, tight mid-line bun. Buns cannot be placed on top of the head or off to the side. Females may use black hair ties or black bobby pins to be in compliance.
- Facial hair, other than a neatly trimmed mustache, is unacceptable. Sideburns must be trimmed to be no longer than the bottom of the earlobe and of a consistent width on the sides from top to bottom.
- Eyebrows: Students are not allowed to have notched eyebrows. Notched eyebrows will be filled in with a brow pencil.
- Makeup must be subdued and worn in good taste so as not to be distracting to teachers or fellow students. No false eyelashes will be allowed.
- Nails: Nails must not be past the ends of the fingertip. Students are not allowed to have false nails. Fingernail polish must be the same color on all nails, worn in good taste. The only colors allowed are blue or gold polish (school colors), clear, or a French manicure on the natural nail. Fingernail gems and/or designs will not be permitted.
Violations: students who are in violation of the dress code or grooming expectations when they arrive at school will be required to be in compliance before they leave check-in. Three dress code/grooming violations will result in a referral to the director for possible in-school suspension time.
- Students with dress pant violations will be given army fatigues to wear for the day (first offense) and will be expected to return with the correct dress pants when they return to school. If the student returns to school out of dress code after the first offense, the parent will be called, and the student will be sent home.
- Students will be referred to the nurse for facial hair violations and will be given an opportunity to shave.
- Students who arrive without their notebooks will be given a loaner notebook on their first offense. Subsequence offenses will result in a parent phone call to bring a notebook to school and the student will be sent to ISS until the notebook is delivered to the school.
- If a student is out of compliance with hair, the parent will be called and informed. The student will not be allowed to return to school until he/she is in compliance.
*Every day a student is absent due to a dress code or grooming violation will be an unexcused absence.*
School Supplies: 3-Ring Binder (no pockets inside or out), lined paper, dividers, number 2 pencil. Students are not allowed to bring pocket dividers, sheet protectors, pen pouches, pens, mechanical pencils, markers, crayons, colored pencils, erasers, or hand sharpeners.
Shirts: Dry fit polo purchased through Renaissance Academy; students are required to purchase at least 2 shirts at the time of enrollment and shirts must always be tucked in.
Pants: Tan or navy dress pants are acceptable. Pants must have a zipper, button, and belt loops. Pants are not allowed to be form fitting. No leggings will be allowed. Students are not permitted to wear jeans/denim or casual pants that look like jeans.
Shorts: Shorts must be navy or tan khaki in color and must come to the top of the knee. Shorts must have a zipper, button, and belt loops. Females can also wear navy or tan khaki Capri pants. Capri pants must have a zipper, button, and belt loops (no jeans/denim).
Skirts Not permitted
Belt: Black or brown in color of the appropriate length and proper fit, with a standard belt buckle.
Shoes: Solid black athletic shoes are required (see page 23 for more details). Shoes must not have holes, the soles must be intact, with laces always tied or Velcro closed tightly.
Socks: White or black only
Cold Weather: Sweatshirts are available for purchase through Renaissance Academy. Black long johns pants and black tops may be worn if they do not show under the RA uniform. If wearing a black long johns top, the RA polo shirt and sweatshirt must be worn also. There will be times during the year when sweatshirts will no longer be permitted at the discretion of the Director.